Argumentative research paper topics
Argumentative research paper topics for college students
Making a claim, supporting it with facts and refuting is done is the main purpose of writing a research paper. In research papers one cannot play down on the importance on arguments to enforce the claim that is being made. An argumentative research paper is therefore special due to its stance on a topic, which rather than merely taking a particular perspective or spewing out information is a detailed study of a given topic using facts and arguments to criticise it analytically.
Topics for an argumentative research paper
- Research papers take a scholarly stand on things and are meant for selective study and readership. The topics that one chooses to do a research on are therefore very academic. Argumentative research paper topics are peculiar due to their emphasis on the arguments that are use to substantiate the stand point. Examples of topics for argumentative research paper topics given below will help you gain a better understanding of argumentative papers.
- Dieting as the best means for weight control.
- Absence of alternate media leads to inequality in representation.
- Why marijuana should be legalised.
- Why female foeticide is illegal.
- Information technology can increase the rate of rural development.
Argumentative research paper topic ideas are quite similar to the topic ideas that you choose for your research papers, with the idea of arguments being assumed to be understood.
Writing an argumentative essay
Arguments and counter arguments are the pillars on which the whole paper is built and therefore they should be sound and should be easily comprehended. The argument also known as the claim or the thesis statement is the main idea of the research paper. The argument cannot be casually stated. It needs to be backed with background information and supporting evidences to improve its credibility and veracity. The argument is the main point of your research paper which you will be analysing. Gone are the days when a research paper is a mere accumulation of facts and information. You ability to analyse a topic from a critical standpoint also signifies your understanding of the subject. The material that you have gathered through research and your research capabilities should be used to go beyond the argument research paper topics and demonstrate your ability to critique the topic. Staking claims will sound easy, but lying down the evidence to develop the claim is tricky and needs careful planning and as such evidences are key to the topics for an argumentative research paper.
guidelines for writing a argumentative research paper.
- Choosing topics for argumentative research papers is the first step.
- Research to gather adequate background information for building up your arguments.
- Record the information in a systematic manner. Differentiate between claims and facts.
- Make an outline for and of the paper.
- Write a thesis statement which most suitably expresses your main argument.
- Prepare an abstract of the paper. An abstract is a summary of the research paper.
- Write the introduction. Include sufficient background information and explain key terms.
- Present the arguments and facts in the body of the research paper.
- Conclude the paper by invoking the strongest argument or referring to the introduction.
- Review the draft to rectify the errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Cite proper references for the authors quoted and works read.