COLLEGE ADMISSION ESSAY
College admissions are always a tiresome task, right from the declaration of high school results to deciding what to study in college to short-listing the preferred colleges to applying till the admissions are over and done with. Different colleges have different requirements for their admission process however most of them have essays as one of the basic admission requirements. What exactly is a college admission essay and how it is to be written are the main points which are discussed here.
While applying to colleges, one need to tell the college authorities why should they be even considered for studying there and this is where an admission essay comes in handy. It is a means of conveying to the college who one is and what can he possibly give back to the college. Most reputed colleges have limited seats and a huge number of applicants. So, apart from the grades, what helps the college in selecting their future students? The answer, simply, is the admission essay. In it, the student can write about himself, his future plans and why he has chosen the particular college where he wishes to pursue his studies. Following are some tips to be kept in mind for writing a good college admission essay:
- College admission essays should be personal but not to the point of being intimate. The student should reveal only what is needed and not his life history which makes him seem needy and someone who washes his dirty linen in public. All relevant academic details should be furnished and a few other details such as hobbies, future plans, ambition in life, etc.
- The essay should not be too long. It has to be remembered that the college authorities have hundreds of such essays to read and judge, which is a taxing work. Being concise and brief adds to the flair of the essay and goes a long way in impressing the admissions committee.
- The essay should not, at any cost, contain any grammatical mistakes. This is a serious indent in any work and can even be disastrous for the applicant. Proper language, wise use of punctuations and a neat outlay is very important. The authorities do not know anyone personally so it is only the essay and the grades which give the first impression of the students before the college.
- Humour is always welcomed and the essay need not be a Parliamentary report. A bit of fun makes the reader interested and also shows the light side of the applicant. However, the humour should not be against anyone or thing or plain sarcasm. Only intelligent use of humour impresses the reader.
- There should be no bragging in the essay. All achievements are well mentioned in the Curriculum Vitae and need not be repeated.
- The essay should try to be different than most. One should take the effort and think outside the box, apart from what most students would write.
- A final advice to the students 'be yourself'. Copying another essay and twisting the words never works. The admissions committees are experienced in finding out fraudulent works and can very well distinguished between originality and copied pieces of writings.
The above points are not exhaustive and many other tips can be added, but these are among the most important ones which can be followed while writing a college admission essay.