College essays that worked
College entrance essays might seem as the sole obstacle between you and your dream college, but believe it that an exceptional admission essay is all what you need to stride in style past the gates of your dream institution. Colleges and universities nowadays accord more importance to college entrance essay so do not run the risk of submitting a poorly executed one and turn in your worst nightmares of being rejected.
Writing a college essay
A good college essay is like a reflection of your personality and passion. It is like a short story n which you are the protagonist. It is distinct from the rest of the essay that you write over your academic career because here you are writing about yourself. However you cannot over-do it how much ever you know about yourself and the details should be carefully chosen. The essay should engage the reader. If you read upon the college essays that worked in getting students admitted to the college of their dreams, you will find that they have something different in the way they have dealt the topic. Bring in some distinct quality in your college entry essays to improve your chances of being selected. This can be achieved in many ways. The following tips will help:
- Do not try to squeeze in all our accomplishments and success stories into the admission essay because enough space is provided for the same in the application form.
- The essay should have a focus and hence do not keep bragging about yourself and digress from the focus of your essay
- The way you introduced yourself is important. Officials dealing with admissions go through scores of essay. Therefore the way you introduce yourself should be in such a way that it captures the attention of the reader. A distinct quality, a difference is what you should aim for. Also remember that the essay makes a kind of impression so give the best impression which is all the more unique.
- The essay is a mirror of your personality, hence use the proper diction to put across what kind of an individual you are and be careful about choosing the words that describe you.
- Use a bitter of humour to bring a smile in the reader. A joke about yourself in the proper context but not over done may well open the gates of the college to you. Witty statement can also prove to be a proof of your brevity. An anti-climatic effect would be when you compromise substance with humour and end up in the rejection list.
- Good college essays are a revelation of your character. Highlight your strengths and skills but in a tone of humility and humbleness. Being the main character of the essay does not vouch for being a braggart. While you do the praise game, be mindful that you do not justify your weakness and heap blame on something for your poor performance in the past. The college is looking for good and honest individuals and not just students with marks up on the ivory tower.
- One of the most important things that you need to emphasise in your essay is your career objective. Ambitious students are an easy magnet of attention. Explain how your tenure at the college will help you get closer in realising your ambitions and how through self realisation you can offer back the college more than what it has rendered to do. The stress should be on throwing light on the institution as the apt place for finding vistas for achieving your goals.
- Grammar, punctuation and spelling should be edited with a detectives eye as that will lead to making an impression of poor attention to quality. You cannot survive without your writing skills in college and if the reader finds that your skills are of poor quality you will find yourself in the danger of not getting through the admission. Seek help in writing and editing your essay.
How so ever colourfully you may come out in the interview and entrance test, the admission essay is your key to unlock your potential in your dream college.