College personal statement
COLLEGE PERSONAL STATEMENT
A college personal statement is an interesting story that you tell about yourself. But that does not end there because your story can fetch you admission to the institution that you have been dreaming about. So there is no option but to impress your reader with that one thing which you would love to tell and would like to write about be it an incident which made you confident or the one which made you blush with fear.
How to write a college personal statement
Admission centres literally wade through thousand of college essays, most of them are bound to have their tryst with the dust bin and those that get past all those scrutinising eyes are distinct, well written and engaging. Follow the guidelines given below to make your personal statement be one which will sway away the readers with its inimitable quality.
- What you want to write about is important. Firstly because writing a personal statement for college is like writing a story about yourself and secondly apart from the grades, score, resume, interviews and tests this is one golden opportunity at your doorstep to leave an effect on the reader. So carefully chose what you would like to write about and do not over do it. Examples of personal statements for college applications can be looked upon to get ideas.
- The way you open your personal statement will decide whether the reader will be interested in continuing ahead with it. Make an entry; make it different and striking such that the reader takes notice of you. Do not get carried away by your quality, after all colleges want students who are honest citizens of sound character and not somebody who makes a show to feature in gossip stories.
- Writing about yourself is not easy and more often one can find themselves stumbling upon errors. Be extremely careful in choosing the words to describe your quality; let it not be sky high and go over the top. College application personal statement examples will have a plethora of words that you can use when you write the personal statement.
- Always find a balance in writing about your skill, strengths and weakness. The reader will be able to get past all the euphemistic couching in your essay, so be honest to yourself and do justice to yourself. Rather than merely stating your strengths and weaknesses you can talk about the effect it has had in your life and how it has changed you positively or negatively.
- Humility and humbleness should be your bywords when you write the essay. Being carried away with vainglory will not help you get admission. Be humble in tone even when you are proudly stating your skills and qualities which make you a good candidate in seeking admission to the college.
- College personal statements are testimonials of your personality and so one might wonder how to put across oneself in the best way possible. Humour is one way in which you can capture the attention of your reader. Be clever enough to use a funny metaphor or witty remark without digressing from the focus of your college personal statement. A sad story that wells up tears in the eyes of the reader can also be a good emotional appeal that will open up your chances of getting selected. Personal statement examples for college applications are replete with such story ideas.
These few tips should help you come up with an outstanding personal statement. But that is not all of it. Editing the personal statement is as important as writing as grammatical and spelling errors will give of an impression of a lazy attitude or poor quality to control. Read out the essay loud enough to yourself, in that way you can easily catch upon the errors. Once you have finished the proof reading and editing solicit second opinion from your parents or friends who can give you some unbiased suggestions. Personal statement examples for college can be viewed over the internet if you are not confident enough as that can help you a lot.
All taken care of, march of to the institutions and be confident of finding yourself a seat.