Persuasive speech topics for college
PERSUASIVE SPEECH TOPICS FOR COLLEGE
Persuasive speeches are those which are spoken by one person to a group of people with an intention to influence them for doing or against doing something. In colleges, such speeches are directed towards peers. College persuasive speech topics should be different and hard-hitting. The audience is of the same age and it helps to adopt their style of communication rather than one which would have been used if the audience were of a senior age. This helps the speaker in being more comfortable and enables him to convey his point in an enhanced manner. Good persuasive speech topics for college should be well-researched and worked up on. All key points should be supported with adequate data and examples. The topic should be contemporary and related to the audience.
Examples of persuasive speech topics for college are given below:
- Information about calorie counts at fast food centres- adverse health effects of fast food and junk food, how people are attracted towards them, source of indirect tax, fast foods have heavy calories, lead to obesity, harmful effects of obesity, other health complications of consuming fast food, people need to be aware of the amount of calorie intake, ethical duty of all fast food centres, how can it be implemented at the governmental level, what can be done at the student level.
- Selling of alcohol and cigarettes to minors- irresponsible behaviour of minors, peer pressure, enthusiasm for experimenting, unaware of the health effects, duty of the sellers to refuse to minors unless accompanied by an adult, execution of such an act.
- Rights of the third gender- what defines a third gender, ghettoized community, why rights should be given to them, what rights do they deserve, which countries/states recognize them as legal citizens, duty of every public and private sector to grant them employment and education, change in the mentality of the society.
- Use of technology in education- wastage of paper, importance of technology in the modern world, how can paper be replaced by computers, positive outcome of such a step, where has it been adopted, how can technology revolutionize education.
- Limit to surfing the internet for students- original use for the internet, how internet has been manipulated by the youth, spreading awareness to limit the net usage, negative side effects such as inflow of virus, distraction, addiction, loss of concentration, failure in academics, etc, what can be done to curb this trend, self control.
The above persuasive speech topics for college students are certainly not exhaustive and hundreds can be added to this list. The topics should be interesting and appealing to the audience and the speaker should be well-aided with each and every aspect of the topic to avoid rambling and be able to answer all queries without hesitating. On the whole, confidence and knowledge is all that is required to reach out to the people.